top of page
Patient and Nurse

Work Permit​

It is one of the most popular immigration destinations in the world for those who want to live and work in a new country as well as establish a new life there after they have arrived. In many situations, you will be required to apply through the United Kingdom's tier points-based visa system, which evaluates applicants against a variety of factors in order to determine their eligibility for a work or study visa in the United Kingdom. The skilled migrant visa is intended for 'skilled workers' from outside the European Economic Area who have been offered a position in the United Kingdom by a Tier 2 Sponsor. This visa also applies to skilled workers whose occupations are listed on the shortage occupations list of the United Kingdom, such as registered nurses.

  • Family members (‘dependants’) can accompany when the applicant come to the UK on this visa.

  • Family members must have a visa if they’re from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland.

  • A ‘dependant’ is any of the following:

  • Husband, wife or partner

  • Child under the age of 18

  • Child over 18 if they’re currently in the UK as a dependant

  • Proof to establish that the dependants can be supported by the applicant while they’re in the UK.

  • Each dependant must have £630 available to them whether they apply with you or separately. This is in addition to the funds you must have to support yourself.

  • Proof of money and that it’s been in the applicant or the dependant’s bank account for at least 90 days before visa application.

What am I not permitted to do in the United Kingdom on a Dependent Visa?

  • Use the public funds and benefits.

  • Work as a dentist/doctor in training, or as a sportsperson.

  • Study in a restricted study field.

Doctor Office

Work as a dependant

  • The Dependent Visa category enables the dependents of a person who is a permanent resident or UK citizen to apply to join them in the UK. This type of application typically applies to family and children.

  • A dependant is able to work in the UK except:

  • They cannot work as a professional sportsperson, which includes a sports coach.

  • They cannot work as a doctor or dentist in training unless they have a degree in medicine or dentistry from a UK institution or have previously been granted a UK visa that did not restrict their employment as a doctor or dentist in training and were employed as such during that period.

  • The UK has typically been a popular place for jobs, with a good economy and many big cities hosting big employers.

  • The best and most effective way to find a role is by using job portals, Strong Social network, Recruitment Agency, Newspaper, Company websites.

  • Indeed, Monster, Total jobs, reed are familiar websites to target for a suitable opportunity.

If dependant spouse is highly skilled and secure sponsors through an eligible licenced employer, please be aware that they will not be able to 'switch' to a skilled migrant visa by staying in the UK. To apply for the new status, your dependent must return home and file a new application.

For more information’s:

  • Passport

  • Tuberculosis test report (not applicable for all nationalities)

  • Police clearance check from all the countries (if the duration of stay is over 1 year)

  • Birth Certificate (Children)

  • Marriage Certificate (married partners)

  • Accommodation proof in the UK (Tenancy Agreement)

  • Employment confirmation letter from your Employer or COS

  • Your employer is a rated sponsor who will certify the maintenance fund for your dependents. Therefore, you will be exempted to have a personal saving statement.

  • For More information: Please contact Visa Roots. Visa Roots is a subsidiary of Envertiz Consultancy for UK visa applications. You can contact them through email:  or visit website  

bottom of page